6/06/2007

Mt Baldy - Wed 6/6/07

This is Mt. Baldy in Eagle River, just an easy drive from Anchorage.
It doesn't look like a very steep hike. Trust me, though, it was steep.


Here is my bestest buddy June. She's testing out a backpack for her upcoming backpacking trip! You can see the Eagle River in the background. I was sure hoping the bears were playing around on the river and not up high in the mountains where we were. June and I hiked last week and came upon a big old pile of bear scat. Too bad I didn't take a picture of of, but we were in a big hurry to get away. Moose are having calves and bears are all over trying to get those
tender morsels.






















Here I am at the top of Mt. Baldy. The wind was blowing cool air, but the sky was gorgeous, temps in high 50's and it was magnificent for a short after-work hike in the midnight sun. There isn't air more fresh.

















This is part of the view northwest. You can see part of the Knik Arm and west to Mt. Susitna
of the Alaska Range. Some bad weather was moving in, so I didn't hang around to admire the view very long.



I appreciate the young man who happily loaned me the use of his truck at the trailhead when I was waiting for the other hikers to get down. I had a bad feeling about standing around alone and he was like "yeah dude" no problem dude, "lock up dude." Thank You.

On the way home, June kindly pulled over so I could shoot this young male moose (poor guy, his antlers will grow).
















The moose started to trot, so it was time to leave.

No comments: